Friday, November 18, 2011

My Collection

I collect “true”/close friends like other people collect memorabilia or favorite songs. A deep connection and an intimate friendship have always been amazingly important to me. Anyway, I can always add another person to my collection, but I’m very particular. (I suppose “collection” sounds creepy, oh well.) I don’t add just anyone. Each person is (probably) overanalyzed for compatibility, open-mindedness, etc. People’s oddities and imperfections are often some of the reasons that make them special to me. I just need them to be a high caliber person. They need to be open to thought-experiments. They need to be able to tease me as well as be teased. Of course, there’s always a compatibility and thought wave-length issue to work out. They need to be a person of integrity and honesty. The truth I can handle, lying to my face doesn’t win you bonus points. I hold myself to the same standard, so I don’t think it is that much to ask. Of course, people make mistakes and aren’t always perfect. I just expect that they try to do their best. Once comfortable with a person, I open up more, I allow them into my personal bubble (less afraid of touch misunderstandings), and I would do anything for them (pretty much) if they asked. For me, friendship is like being in love (without sex). I truly value my friends. A friend “break-up” is ridiculously hard on me. I spend weeks crying and months recovering. Friendship, to me is a BIG deal. I am not “just” friends with someone - they become like family, my 仲間 (in Japanese, nakama means friends/comrades/partners, I think it's a good word for it).


"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."    - Titus Maccius Plautus

No comments:

Post a Comment